Environment 79 Stories

Sustainability in action

Published

13th Nov, 2017

Climate change has an impact on the entire world, which includes KLM. That is why we are taking measures to consistently reduce our environmental footprint. We are integrating sustainability into our operations more and more. This video gives some examples of how this works in practice.

Lower weight, fewer CO2 emissions

CO2 emissions make up the largest proportion of an airline’s environmental footprint. KLM aims to reduce CO2 emissions per passenger by 20% in 2020 (compared to 2011). We are doing this in various ways, focusing primarily on fleet renewal, weight reduction on board, route optimisation and the use of sustainable biofuel.

Not just in the air

On the ground we are also working to reduce our environmental footprint and make our processes more sustainable. Examples include more eco-friendly plane and engine washing methods and the reduction and recycling of waste.

KLM strives to prevent waste wherever possible. Of the waste that is produced, we recycle 28%, separating it into 14 different waste flows. The other 72% is incinerated in power plants that generate electricity.

More ideas?
Add your voice to the conversation

Published

6th Feb, 2018

0

Add your voice.
Number of comments:

Published

23rd Jan, 2018

0

Add your voice.
Number of comments:

Published

13th Nov, 2017

0

Add your voice.
Number of comments:

Published

7th Jul, 2017

0

Add your voice.
Number of comments:

Published

16th Jun, 2017

0

Add your voice.
Number of comments:

Top